Monday, December 31, 2012

New Year

I've definitely picked up a habit of writing while I'm on the road, or in this case, in the air. I'm on a flight back to Freddy right now. I had an amazing nine days at home. Time to rest, relax, and (I think) finally beat the virus that has been bugging me since a summer vacation in the Middle East. Everyone is heading back today or tomorrow in time to get back in the gym on the morning of the 2nd.

New Years is always a time for reflection, but more so it's about looking forward to the year ahead. Forgive the overused cliche, but it's time to ditch the bad habits of 2012 and focus our energies on the possibilities that lie in 2013. We are 40% of the way through our season, and for those who like math, I'm 89% of the way through my basketball career. The team received an email from Barb the other day. She asked two questions. The first: what are you going to change in the second half of our season? The second: what inspires you?

I can change to be better. I can push harder, eat better, lift more, and run faster. I can be more disciplined. I can hold myself and my teammates to a higher standard. I can find my voice when it helps the team and hold my tongue when it doesn't. I can rest my head on my pillow at the end of each night knowing that I did all I can to make us better.

Inspiration? I'm inspired by a note in my bucket that reminds me of my value. I'm inspired by the look on Caroline's face when she pushes out an extra rep that she didn't think she could do. I'm inspired by the advice from Cory, who always seems to say exactly what I need to hear. I'm inspired by my team, and motivated by the ticking clock. The younger girls on my team won't understand this, but this is my last chance to prove myself on my favourite field of battle. As a team, they'll get to do it again, and they have more chances if this season isn't all that we want it to be. But I won't be there, and neither will Mel, and neither will be some of the other girls.

I've played on enough teams to know that what we have now is something special. The chemistry on this team isn't something that you find everywhere. It's not something that most teams have.

So right now, as I sit bouncing my way through the air over Quebec with Tilly beside my and sitting in my favourite row (13 - of course), all I can think about is how grateful I am. I should probably be angry that we are 1-7, disappointed that my health has limited me. And on the bad, selfish, days I am. But today? On this day that celebrates renewal all I know is how lucky I am to be a part of a team that makes me smile and laugh every day.

If you want to see some of my favourite pictures of the team from 2012 click the jump ("Read More") below.




Tilly and I before her first game - a picture to send to our moms.
Caroline, Dutchie, Nisja, and I (and sleepy Tils) in the van on the way to Maine
The team boarding our flight to Toronto
Awo's first time at the farmers' market - and she made a friend
Mel helping Chelsey learn a new play
Dutchie buying a Dutchie - is that where she got the nickname?
Kate feeling welcome at the Courtyard Marriot in Bangor
Mel and I, a little confused, looking for our room - #209
Nisja helping Foxy with some of the finer points of the game
With my little cousin Charlie after a game in Toronto
Tilly getting creative icing her head
Caro, Chelsey and Tilly watching a movie during some hotel downtime.
Excited that I got a new nameplate - with my name spelled correctly!
Me, Mel, Speedy, Sam, and Tilly at the Academic All-Canadian Breakfast.
Playing a little volleyball after practice


On top of the CN Tower's glass floor


The GingerbReds - can you find your favourite VRed or member of our staff?


The team competing in our Amazing Race


Inner Ninjas


Where's Waldo?


Team Twister


The Speedys

No comments:

Post a Comment