Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Beginning.


Hi,


My name is Allie Chalke and I’m from North Vancouver, BC. It’s my first year at UNB but my fourth year playing ball. I played the first three years of my eligibility in BC before coming to UNB this September to do a Masters of Philosophy in Policy Studies.


Hopefully this blog will be a chance for our supporters and fans to get an idea of what it’s like being a student-athlete at UNB. I’ll be posting about our games, practices, training and all the extra stuff that goes on while we prepare for the second half of our season (and, okay, maybe a little bit about the misadventures of a west-coaster experiencing things like winter for the first time).


But first, a quick update of what we’ve done thus far:

At the Christmas break we were 1-5, with our one win coming from a split with Cape Breton. We got time off for Christmas, which was marked by the security screener at the airport announcing that Coach Speedy must have been “struck by the spirit of Christmas” letting me go home for ten whole days. On the 27th of December we went to Montreal for Concordia’s Shoot For the Cure tournament. In Montreal, we lost to Concordia and Thompson Rivers but finished the weekend with a win over Western. Immediately after the game we boarded the bus and arrived back in Fredericton just in time to ring in the New Year.


After finishing off 2011 with a win we were excited to start 2012 the same way and we headed to Antigonish for a double header against StFX. We didn’t quite get it, with a loss on Friday, but we rallied on Saturday to pull off the win.


So, we currently sit 2-6. Our record isn’t ideal, but we’ve noticed a definite increase in our level of play lately and that can only mean good things.


This weekend we play UPEI and Acadia at home. Friday, we play UPEI at 6:00 and Saturday we play Acadia at 6:00 at the Currie Centre (both nights the men follow at 8:00).


I’m blessed with a fantastic team and over the next few weeks I’ll get to introduce you to all of them but I think for now I’ll leave it at that!


Allie

1 comment:

  1. Great blog, keep it up the hard work during the 2nd have of the season! Red Brigadeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

    ReplyDelete